Monday, May 12, 2008

My Mother's Day!

Today was my first time that I was able to really celebrate Mother's Day. First off, I want to say thank you to William. If it weren't for him, I would not be a mother :) Second, thanks to Mike. He made my mother's day so wonderful. I am currently looking at beautiful flowers on my table surrounded by a big basket of fresh fruit! Mike really knows me well! I LOVE fruit and was overjoyed when he brought home so much of it! Thank you.

Yesterday I thought a lot about my short experience of motherhood and I decided to post a few things that have surprised me about motherhood.

1. LOVE. I know everybody always says that you love your kids more than you can even imagine, and they were right. I love William more than I could literally imagine. The bond between us is incredible. No matter where he is, sleeping, playing with mike, or being babysat, he is constantly in the back of my mind. My whole life revolves around that little kid. Like they said, I love him more than you can even imagine.

2. HARD. People always told me that motherhood was really hard. I figured this was mostly because you were so tired and it never ended so it must be hard. I never realized part of the reason it was hard was because you were in charge of making all the decisions for another person. I have to decide when to feed him, when to give him a bath, whether to make him cry through the night, whether he needs another nap, what he should wear, when he needs his diaper changed, when he should start eating solids...and so on and so on. I am a bad decision maker and so this part of motherhood has already been challenging for me.

3. JOY. I never realized how happy such little things can make me. I become so excited when william smiles, laughs, burps, goes to the bathroom, grabs toys, moves in an army crawl, babbles, and so on. For being able to do so little, he brings me so much joy.

4. EMOTION. I now have this motherly emotion that is incredible. I even cried when I heard of a little kitten dying because he couldn't nurse. I want every baby (whether human or not) to be taken care of and loved. Lets just say tears are much closer to the surface now.

5. RESPONSIBILITY. I don't know why I was blessed with little William, but I feel so responsible to give it my all to teach him the right ways. I know he is just a baby, but I see the world turning for the worse and I see my little baby who has no idea what he will grow up in. Mike and I give thanks for little William every night and we both feel great responsibility to teach him the gospel and correct principles.

OVERALL I love motherhood. I love William and I can't wait to have more children so that I can love them too!

No comments: